1) Cuyahoga Valley Youth Ballet presents Miss Spider’s Tea Party and Joplin Jamboree, 2:30 and 7:30 p.m. Saturday, 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Akron Civic Theatre, $10-$25, www.cvyb.org, 330-253-2488.
Ballet fans get a twofer here, starting with choreographer James Sewell’s adaptation of the popular kids’ book. In addition to the whimsy of partying insects, there will also be the world premiere of “Joplin Jamboree,” featuring music by jazz icon Scott Joplin and choreography by Tom Gold.
2) Ekoostik Hookah, 9 p.m. Saturday, Tangier, 532 W. Market St., Akron, $15 advance, $20 day of show, www.thetangier.com, 330-376-7171.
This long-running jam band has been an area favorite for 20-plus years. Tangier is a relatively small place to see a band that regularly gets thousands of people to come out to Wolf Ledges, and it’s an all-ages show, so if you’re looking for a place to do your jam-band chicken dance, don’t dawdle.
3) Heron Watch, 1-3 p.m. Sunday, Bath Road Heronry, Riverview Road and West Bath Road, Akron, free, 330-865-8065.
This one’s an acquired taste, as watching birds court each other and (presumably) get it on heron-style isn’t for everyone. But it’s a popular activity around these parts and I learned a new word: heronry, so here it is.
4) The 146th annual Cleveland St. Patrick’s Day Parade, 2:04 p.m., Sunday, Superior Ave. and East 18th St., free.
I don’t have to sell this one to you, do I? Everyone gets to be Irish for a few hours while they watch and cheer on parade floats, Irish/Celtic bands, dancers and more. These events are usually fairly family-friendly, but please be mindful of the minefield of green vomit puddles you may have to traverse (just go ahead and pick up the kids, to be safe) on your way back to the car before the all-day revelers take over.
5) Aaron Carter, 8 p.m., Tuesday, Musica, 51 E. Market St., Akron, $20, www.akronmusica.com.
Hey, remember when Aaron Carter was famous? I’m sorry, that’s not fair; Carter is still working, starred in “The Fantasticks” Off Broadway, and last year he was one of the celebrities on “Rachael vs. Guy: Celebrity Cook-Off” on the Food Network, where he was eliminated in episode one. Nevertheless, I’m sure there is still a fan base (hello, ladies) happy to see him performing music again.