1. Shivering Timbers, 8 tonight, Akron Civic Theatre, 182 S. Main St., $15, www.akroncivic. com.
The local husband/wife duo of Sarah and Jayson Benn have been road-dogging it for the better part of a year since the release of their fine second album of stripped-down indie Americana, rock and folk tunes called “Sing, Sing,” making this is an increasingly rare hometown show. Opening the show will be another mixed gender duo, Boy=Girl.
2. The 22nd Annual Midwest Reggae Fest, Friday-Sunday, Nelson Ledges Quarry Park, (120001 State Route 282, Nelson Township; $80 weekend, $75 Saturday and Sunday, $25 Sunday only, www.midwestreggae fest.com.
After last year’s less-than-smooth-running experiment of staging the venerable music festival at Whiskey Island in Cleveland, promoter and reggae lover Packy Malley listened to the grousing of regular festival- goers and has brought the festival back to its proper home at Nelson Ledges. This year’s performers include Victor Essiet and the Mandators, Blue Riddim Band, Marty Dread, Carlos Jones & the P.L.U.S. Band, Flex Crew, the Ark Band, One World Tribe, Outlaws I & I, Roots High Power Sound System and Brignite Foundation.
3. Carlos Mencia, 8 tonight, 7:30 and 10 p.m. Friday, 7 and 9:30 p.m. Saturday, Hilarities 4th Street Theatre, 2035 East Fourth St., Cleveland, www.pickwickandfrolic.com, 216-241-7425.
Sure, he had a show on Comedy Central for a few seasons that was sometimes funny and that is now off the air. Sure, he has been repeatedly charged with and freely admitted to stealing other comedians’ jokes. But he’s lost a lot of weight, and his skin looks great, so he’s got that going for him.
4. Jazz and Wine Total Experience, 7 p.m. Saturday, Holiday Inn-Akron West, 4073 Medina Road, Bath Township, $20 in advance, $25 at the door. 330-554-3481 or www.livemusicsets. com.
Another second Saturday of the month brings another edition of J&W:TE. This month it’s an All White Summer Jazz concert featuring popular Cleveland smooth-jazz sextet Forecast.
5. Downtown at Dusk: The Numbers Band, 6:30 tonight, Akron Art Museum, 1 S. High St.; free, 330-376-9185; www.AkronArtMuseum.org.
15-60-75 aka the Numbers Band are annual performers at the museum’s free weekly summer shindigs that also feature barbecue from Old Carolina BBQ.