Outside support affects eligibility for Supplemental Security Income

Add This

Q: I thought I’d be eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and I was going to apply, until I talked to my neighbor. She said I would be turned down because I have children who could help support me. Is this true?

A: Whether you can get SSI depends on your income and the things you own. If you have limited income and few resources, you might be able to get SSI.

However, if you are receiving support from your children or from anyone else, it could affect your monthly benefit amount. Support includes any food or shelter that is given to you, or is received by you, because someone else pays for it. I would not say it automatically disqualifies you from a payment. But, the support might need to be developed.

For more information, visit our website about SSI at www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi.

Q: What is the difference between the disability application and the disability report? Do I have to complete both?

A: The Disability Application is an application for Social Security disability benefits.

To receive Social Security disability or Supplemental Security Income disability benefits, you must file an application.

The Disability Report, meanwhile, is a form that provides Social Security with information about your current medical condition. We need this information to process your disability application.

To start a claim for disability benefits, you need to complete a disability application, a disability report and an authorization release form that allows us to obtain your medical records.

You can get the disability application process started at www.socialsecurity.gov/applyfordisability.

Send questions to Robert Fenn, Social Security Administration, Second Floor, Federal Building, 2 S. Main St., Akron, OH 44308. Fax: 330-375-5616 or email: Robert.Fenn@ssa.gov.

© 2014 The Akron Beacon Journal  ●  Ohio.com  ●  Enjoy  ● 44 E. Exchange Street, Akron, Ohio 44308