• Monday — The Summit Sportsmans Association, a fishing and hunting club, meets at 7:30 p.m. on the second Monday of each month at the Polish American Club, 472 E. Glenwood Ave., Akron. Guests are welcome. For more information, call Harold McAbee at 330-630-9621.
• Nov. 18 — The Portage-Summit Field & Stream Club, 8504 U.S. 224, Deerfield Township, holds meetings at 2 p.m. the third Sunday of each month. Meetings are open to the public and to those interested in becoming a member. For more information, visit www.psfs-club.org or call Lew Weygandt at 330-688-6507.
• Dec. 13 — The Goodyear Hunting & Fishing Club, 1221 Wingfoot Lake Road (at the intersection of state Route 43 & Wingfoot Lake Road), Suffield Township, holds its meetings the second Thursday of each month. The meeting begins at 7:30 p.m. New members are welcome. Contact: Lew Weygandt at 330-688-6507.
• Today — The Bolivar Sportsman’s Club, 11286 Bolivar-Strasburg Road NW, Bolivar, hosts open trap shoots at 6:30 p.m. every Friday. For more information, call 330-874-3175.
• Today — The Lake Milton Fish & Game Club, 4375 Bedell Road, Berlin Center, hosts open and protector trap shoots at 6 p.m. every Friday. New shooters welcome. For more information, call Dean at 330-557-4001.
• Saturday — The Edinburg Sportsman Association, 7261 Tallmadge Road, Edinburg Township, is open for trap shoots from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. All shooters are welcome. For more information, call 330-325-1733 or 330-472-7206.
• Saturday — The Copley Trap Range, 1665 Jacoby Road, Copley Township, is open for shoots from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. every Saturday. For more information, call Brad Harker at 330-855-1174 or Harvey Bechtel at 330-620-6909.
• Sunday — Amvets Post 176, 3944 Wheatley Road, Richfield, is hosting 10 weeks of turkey shooting. Practice starts at 10 a.m. Registration starts at 7 a.m. Breakfast is available. Guns are limited to factory barrel and 32-inch length. Prizes include turkeys, ham, bacon and cash. Call: 330-659-3924.
• Sunday — The Streetsboro Sportsman Association is sponsoring turkey shoots every Sunday through Nov. 18. Shoots begin at 10 a.m. The shot closest to the target center will establish the winner for each round. The competition is for cash, meat or prizes. Concessions available. The shoots are at the Streetsboro Sportsman Association in Shalersville Township on Peck Road, off of state Route 303. Contact: Martin Smeal at 330-221-7757 or 330-626-2115.
• Sunday — The Lodi Bird Club, on Franchester Road, in Lodi, will host a turkey shoot on Sundays through Dec. 9. Shoots are 10 a.m. to noon. Factory shotguns only. Prizes include ham, turkey, bacon, pork loins and cash. For information or directions, call 330-948-1295.
• Sunday — The North Lawrence Fish and Game Club at 15325 Lawmont Street NW, North Lawrence, hosts fall and winter turkey shoots each Sunday through March 3. Shoots are traditional and Lucky X with factory barrels. There are also unlimited barrel shoots and all shells are provided. Shoots begin at 10 a.m. Doors open at 8:30 a.m. and the kitchen opens at 9 a.m. Practice traps will be available. For more information, contact Jim Stallard 330-825-9150 or www.nlfg.org.
• Monday — The Edinburg Sportsman Association, 7261 Tallmadge Road, Edinburg Township, hosts a trap league shoot from 6 to 9 p.m. New shooters are welcome. For more information, call 330-325-1733 or 330-472-7206.
• Nov. 16 — Lenape Trail Sportsmans Club, 15413 Salt Creek Road, Mount Eaton, will host protector trap shoots beginning at 6:30 p.m. Other dates include: Nov. 30; and Dec. 14 and 28. For more information, call 330-695-9826.
Those purchasing an Ohio hunting license for the first time must complete a hunter education course. Additionally, Ohio hunters seeking licenses in other states may be required to show proof that they have completed such a course. There is no charge. For more information, call 800-WILDLIFE.
• Summit County — The Buckeye Outdoor Youth Education and Shooting Center will be conducting a free hunter education class on Nov. 17 for new hunters. This is a home study course open to Ohio residents only. Youths 17 years or younger are required to study the Hunter Education Manual at home and then must present their completed chapter review questions when first entering the classroom. Class will consist of lectures, discussions, visual aids, demonstrations, and hands-on training. Students must pass a written exam to successfully pass the course. Students 10 years of age or younger must be accompanied by an adult age 18 or older. The Hunter Education Manual may be found on line at www.WildOhio.com. Classes are 4:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the Ohio Sportsman and Farmer League Clubhouse located at 1775 Jacoby Road, Copley. Students must be preregistered by going online or calling 800-WILDLIFE. Contact instructor Harvey Bechtel at 330-620-6909 with questions.
LET US KNOW
• Seeking events — If you have an outdoors event planned, please submit the information to the Beacon Journal for inclusion in the Outdoors Calendar. Minimum information needed is: type of event, date, time, place (please include an address), cost and a number to call for further information. Include a website if applicable. Please submit items by email to email@example.com or by fax at 330-996-3629.