Corned Beef & Cabbage
3 pounds corned beef brisket of beef (we use flat cut not point)
1 cup orange marmalade
4 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
4 tablespoons brown sugar as desired -- potatoes, carrots & cabbage
1. Place corned beef in large pot & cover by 1 inch with water. Cover & bring to boil on high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently 3-4 hours or until very tender. During first 30 minutes of simmering, skim scum from water occasionally.
2. Remove beef from cooking broth. We reuse the broth to boil the potatoes, carrots & cabbage.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. In small bowl, mix marmalade, mustard & brown sugar. Drain meat & place on ovenproof serving dish. Spoon marmalade mixture over beef, coating it thoroughly.
5. Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes or until glaze is crisp & brown. Allow to rest 10 minutes before slicing. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Recipe by Jenny Beymer Larimore