1) Burning River Fest 2013, 6-11 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Historic Coast Guard Station on Whiskey Island, $12-$50, www.burningriverfoundation.org
This annual ecological-themed shindig features more than 30 bands on three stages including local acts Winslow, Bethesda and the Speedbumps. There will also be a bunch of Great Lakes beer, including a preview of this year's batch of Christmas Ale, along with the Corporate Boat Float, a boat race featuring vessels constructed from plastic waste, and food from local eateries.
2) Christmas in July Fundraiser 5-10 p.m. today, Arcadia Grille, 321 Court Ave. NW, Canton. $5, www.brianlisik.com/.
The show serves as an ode to beloved percussion/music educator Phil Zampino, a two-time cancer survivor who died in January 2012, and as a fundraiser for the support group he founded, the Cancer Patients Advocacy Group. The group helps cancer patients, survivors, caregivers and family members “become better informed about their cancer and to give them the personal and financial support they want or need.” At 7 p.m., Brian Lisik and the Unfortunates will perform with help from fundraiser organizer and former Zampino students Alec Bialota and Alex Busby. There will also be celebrity bartenders and a 50/50 drawing.
3) Average White Band with Horns and Things, 7 p.m. Saturday, Lock 3 Live Park, S. Main St., Akron. $10, www.lock3live.com.
It’s gonna be a funky night with the AWB getting funk fans’ hips swiveling with their classic funk workouts “Cut the Cake,” “Pick up the Pieces” and the oft-sampled groove of “Schoolboy Crush.” And don't forget the sexy slow jam “A Love of Your Own.” Openers Horns and Things are a smooth jazz band from Cleveland.
4) Akron Arts Expo, tonight-Sunday, Hardesty Park, 1615 W. Market St., Akron., Free, 330-375-2836
The annual West Akron event is action-packed and includes the Taste of Akron, happening 6-10 tonight with more than 20 local restaurants offering their wares for a $2 food ticket along with music performers, a cooking competition and more. There will also be a Wine Tasting and Silent Auction 6-8:30 p.m. Friday with more than 150 wines and beers from around the world and some hors d’oeuvres. And the Arts Expo itself will happen 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday showcasing more than 160 artists as well performances by area dance studios and bands.
5) 46th Annual All Kids Carnival, 3-8 p.m. today at Newberry School Park, 1500 Silver Lake Ave., Cuyahoga Falls, $8, 330-971-8225
That’s right. Anyone who attended the first carnival probably can now bring their own kids and perhaps grandkids to this longstanding evening of fun for the kids. There will be pony rides, a petting zoo, super slide, Jupiter Jump, balloon sculpture, clowns and a bunch much more kid-friendly activities.